Dayle Ann Clavin strives to capture the beauty in the world. Her work reveals the seemingly small and unpretentious with the result that one is aware of the harmony and perfection to be found in everyday life. She finds the fantastic in the real, feeling strongly that life itself presents the best material.
Dayle is a native Californian who has spent the last 20 years in Europe - she now lives in Austria. Dayle originally studied music at the University of California and later at the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria, followed by a career as a flute teacher and chamber music player. In more recent years she discovered her love for photography, worked intensely in black and white inspired by the zone system of Ansel Adams, and the work of many legendary photographers of the early 1900's. During this time numerous images were published in the well known German-Swiss magazine "PHOTOGRAPHIE" and her work was exhibited in Austria, including the Nikon Gallery in Vienna, Panoptikum Gallery of the Hochschule Musik und Darstellende.
- 2001 - Graduated with honours in fine art photography at the Prager, Fotoschule, Schloss Weinburg, Kefermarkt, Upper Austria.
- 2002 - Gallery of Photography in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, Texas Fotofest Discoveries 2002.
- 2003/2004 - Portfolio of Dance and the Soul, La Fotografia Actual magazine, Barcelona, Spain.
- June 2004 - First prize in the International Photography Competition of the San Diego County Fair. Additional special first prize awarded by the San Diego Artists Guild.
- July 2004 - First prize in the International competition virtual visual Women in Photography International, USA.
- September 2005 - Publication of the book Dance and the Soul, Imschoot Publishing Company, Ghent, Belgium.
- September 2005 and 2006 - Among 100 images selected out of 3000 entries by Hugh Davies, Curator of the Museum for Modern Art, San Diego, California, to take part in the exhibition The Art of Digital Show, San Diego, California.
- Since 2005 - Nominated annually in the Black and White Spider Awards, Los Angeles, California.
- 2007- Image and text included in the book The Worlds Greatest Black and White Photography, Vol.1, a collection of photographs from the Black and White Spider Awards.
- May 2008 - Winner of first prize in Prix de la Photographie, Paris.
Prints by Dayle Ann Clavin are now available from the Print Sales section - click here.
Dayle's work can be found on her own website is at www.dayleannclavin.com. She may be contacted by telephone on 0681 10643544.